Monday, August 20, 2012

Hollyshorts Film Festival

I had the pleasure of attending the Hollyshorts Film Festival in LA last week to see the film I wrote, Docket 32357. In addition to this being a feat unto itself, I shed quite a few tears once the lights went down and I saw my work on the big screen. Certainly I was prepared to see the film on screen...after all, that's what I was there for, but I wasn't prepared to see it come on first! There was that nagging feeling in the back of my head about whether or not people would like it. I figured there would only be a handful of people, most all of whom I knew, clapping at the end but I was very happy to hear folks talking about the film positively during its run and the resounding sound of applause at the end.

I wrote this right after my stroke so this piece is my heart. I don't know if I will ever have as strong a connection to any other thing I write. It was so therapeutic to be able to flesh out these characters. Whenever I would feel frustrated with myself and what was going on within me, I wrote. Words came slowly but as I mentally got better, so did the piece. It healed me. I still had a creative edge, that that part of my mind wasn't gone.

When we got up to participate in the Q and A portion of the Festival, my knees almost gave out. I was so nervous. I definitely felt the right side of my body give a little and became aware of the slight weakness I had. Thank goodness I didn't stutter when I was asked a question! I am so thankful and blessed to have experienced this. I can't wait for the film to be shown in more festivals. I walked away feeling so inspired and feeling like I could do anything! It makes me even more excited to start Grad School at the end of the month.

Joy!

2 comments: