Friday, April 8, 2011

Today's Word Is...

ANTITHROMBIN!

Antithrombin is a small itty bitty protein molecule that inactivates several enzymes of the coagulation system. (Things that help clot your blood-*cue 10,000 Pyramid music)

Anthithrombin's inactivation increases in the presence of Heparin (The thing I was on before the Warfarin aka Coumadin) Fun fact:  It can be made from goat's milk...ew Why am I bringing this up? Well, remember those results I was waiting for from the Hematologist and from the turkey waddle receptionist? Well, after yet another call from me to her, I finally got a call back and got my test results.

Everything in terms of blood is pretty rockin except for my antithrombin.  A normal range is 80% and I am just on the cusp of that with a number of 78%.  This sucks because that means I may be naturally prone to clots and that this stroke was just waiting to happen. My doc is going to run the test again in two weeks because if it goes down any further, there is a very good chance, mm, a very crappy chance, that I may have to go back on Warfarin....and I can't do that. I don't think I can physically do that.  That would mean more Lovenox shots and more of feeling like a zombie and NO GREEN FOODS!

That's like having to go back to jail...no way. So, say a small what up to whoever you pray to for me that I won't have to do this because I don't think I have it in me to do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment