Tuesday, June 28, 2011

I Laugh...

Anyone who knows me is well aware of my obsession with The Golden Girls. I would watch every episode with my grandparents when I was little laughing at dirty jokes not fully knowing what they meant but happy that there was a show out there that could comfort me and make me think that these women were my Aunties. Even today, I hunt online for episodes hoping there is one I missed, a new episode, a lost episode, something I haven't seen before so I could feed my obsession.

As I get older, my friends and I relate to these 4 women more and more. We actually get all the dirty jokes and look try and figure out which Golden Girl we are. As of this year, I'm Sophia (the shortest in the red). I love being able to relate to things she says even though I'm over 50 years younger than her. "Ah, every day you forget something new". I think I laughed for a good 5 minutes yesteray as I saw a re-run.

The same goes for cartoon comedies of today. One of my favorite cartoons is Family Guy. Recently, I saw an episode where the patriarch, Peter, has a stroke which paralyzes the left side of his body (hemiplegia). This epi makes fun of his condition and while I know that is wrong, helloooo, sometimes we need to laugh. What good is anything if we can't laugh at life and experiences? The episode goes on and Peter is seen dragging his lifeless arm and leg through everyday activities. While crass, again, I laughed. At the end of the epi, Peter is cured of his ailments through the use of stem cells.

I guess what I'm trying to say is when your ailments get you down, laugh. It beats walking around feeling sorry for yourself. Ice cream sundaes can only get you so far right?

No comments:

Post a Comment