Monday, August 22, 2011

D-Dimer, I Hate You

On Friday, I spoke with a technician from my Hematologist's office about the results of my Anti thrombin and D-dimer blood tests. I have to go in every 3 months to make sure everything is looking ok. I went in May and everything was fine but on Friday, my result for my D-dimer was "peculiar" as the tech put it.

Usually I speak to my doctor about my results. I'm not sure why the tech called me. I'm pretty annoyed at a normal D-dimer result is less that 245. Mine is 349. Eek. This freaks me out especially because I don't know what the hell it means and the tech couldn't tell me (lawsuits). She said I should come in at the beginning of September for an appointment with the doc so I made an appt but still I would like an explanation of what the number means and what, if any, I can do to bring it down.

I have been on edge all weekend because I don't know what it all means! The internet has not been my friend in this instance. Everything I look up is wordy and scary with words like thrombosis and pulmonary embolism.

D-dimer tests are ordered, along with other laboratory tests and imaging scans, to help rule out the presence of a thrombus. This test may be used to determine if further testing is necessary to help diagnose diseases and conditions that cause hypercoagulability, a tendency to clot inappropriately.

I don't want to wait until September 1st to see what is going on. Can't someone call me back now?

No comments:

Post a Comment