Thursday, February 14, 2013

Valentine's Day Post

Chocolate Covered Strawberry
From My Dog

Not quite a stroke post but considering the day, I thought I would share a few of my Valentine's Day memories of years past.

Growing up, my Father was my first Valentine. Every year, no matter what, he would always make me feel like the most awesome person in the world. Flowers and chocolate every year and sometimes a stuffed bear. As I got older, he could have chosen to take a backseat but still remained ever vigilant at making sure I knew that I was his girl. Today he called me bright and early this morning to wish me a Happy VD. Even though he doesn't live in this country anymore, he still manages to make me feel just as special.

I went to an all girls High School so Valentine's Day was interesting to say the least. I would look out the window from the 5th floor at around 12 and see at least 50 guys waiting patiently dressed in red and holding flowers, candy, stuffed animals, for their sweeties to come down at 2:30pm. They would all stand behind the police barricade heavily guarded by nuns and make small talk with each other. First off, why weren't these boys also in school?? Anyway, I digress.

I never was one of the girls who had a sweetie waiting outside the school doors on V day but it was just interesting to watch the reaction of these girls. They squealed and jumped on their boyfriends but...again, why aren't you in school??? I even recall some girls getting flowers delivered to classes. That definitely got shut down by the Mother Superior and we received a stern warning over the loudspeaker one year.

It's times like these when I wish digital cameras existed. I would have loved to have a record of all that went on those days. 

Anywho, Happy Valentine's Day! I'm glad I still have those memories locked away in the old hippocampus to share. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment