Friday, March 18, 2011

Last Doctor's Appt In Awhile?

Today I went to my Hematologist to run some more tests.  Now that I have been off the Warfarin aka Coumadin, my doc wants to test me for a particular protein in my blood that would make me prone to clots.  I'm hoping that this is not something that comes up because that could mean that I would have to go back on the drugs...and we all know how much I HATE blood thinners.

It also means that if and when I do decide to have a family, that I would have to take shots of Heparin every day for the entire pregnancy. This just makes me want to say surrogate now.  I like to think of myself as someone who can deal with pain easily but I'm sorry I don't care what you say, giving yourself shots is HARD.  Mad props to the diabetics and people who have to do this everyday.  You are far braver than me!  I won't find out for a couple of days if I have the protein so let's all send the good thoughts my way that I don't have that pesky protein present in my blood.

They took tubes and tubes of blood from me today.  Seeing as how this could possibly be my last visit to the Hematologist, I thought I would take a picture as the final blood draw was taken and was looked upon in disbelief and smiles as I photographed what you see there. There was a young lady next to me getting blood drawn as well. I wanted to ask what she was in for but I figured that would be innapropriate but it's not everyday that you see another young person in a Hematologist's office.  I am usually surrounded by 60-90 year olds asking me if I want a "sucking candy".

After the blood draw, I was taken to the doctor's examination room where I got bored and slightly nervous so I started to grafitti the paper on the examining table.  I don't think this is an offense in any part of the world.  Who draws on examining tables?  I didn't know what to write and didn't want it to go through to the leather so all I could think of was the below.  When all is said and done, stories of young stroke victimes shouldn't go unnoticed and shouldn't be forgotten.  It's history, my history, medical history.  My story.  And I hope it helps others.  So all I could write was that I was here.  I conquered this.

No comments:

Post a Comment