Saturday, January 15, 2011

A Simple Call Goes A Long Way

A few days after I got discharged from NYU Hospital, I got a call.  This wasn't a call from a friend or family member.  No, this was a call I didn't expect, from a nurse care manager regarding my aftercare. 

They didn't call to ask me for money or anything concerning my insurance, they simply called to see how I was doing and if I needed any help understanding what I should be doing now that I was home.  Apparently, this is a new program at NYU.  Patients receive a phone call within 72 hours of being discharged.  Questions are tailored to the individual chart and profile of the patient's medical records.  At first, I thought it was some kind of joke, I mean who does that, right?  They didn't even know me!  After the "How are you", I expected them to ask for a small donation and was ready to cuss but they simply stopped there and made sure I had their number in case I had any questions.

So thank you Cheryl Hart, RN; Majella Maguire, RN; and Pat Walsh, RN.  Thank you for carrying out this program, and making me feel like I'm more than just an account number.  Thank you for making me feel like a human being with feelings who just went through a traumatic experience.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment